Saturday 11 August 2007

Harry Potter's Charm and Magic

The Harry Potter book arrived by mail (I wish it was an owl that brought it in; Errol or Hedwig!). I was never a great fan of the J.K Rowling's books. I did like the first two movies though. Thanks to the repeat telecast on Pogo I actually started liking all the three movies that were screened throughout the summer. The Deathly Hallows was the first book that I laid my hands on in this series. It is not a great book, nevertheless it has since captured my imagination and I would rather say "Accio Water" than walk and grab a glass of water. I wish the summoning charm will work for a lazy bones like me. In a world where more than half my lifetime is being spent searching for my personal belongings and documents, these little charms will certainly do a whole world of good.



The final plot seemed to be closely following a 1960's or 70's "Kollywood Magical"; The villains life is stored in seven vats that can be found after you cross seven oceans and then seven mountains and seven deserts. Blah, blah, blah.....I would somehow still say I like this book, new interesting spells, horcruxes, parlsetounge, the undiluted pure magical fiction, Quidditch, how wizards can live their life with trouble, how a witch can be as adorable and sweet like Hermione! and the most important lesson that magic can't solve a lot of problem. Too good. If this book can catch my attention span for nearly two days when I am 24, imagine what it would have done if I was in my early teens. I would have loved to devour the pages with the same fervour of doing it to a Archer, Grisham, Agatha Christie or Forsyth. Children are meant to waste time. So let them waste time on things that are meant to waste time. Reading a book does not harm anyone in any particular manner. It is a healthy habit, helps one relax, immeasurable learning, good grasp of the language, better vocabulary, improved thought process. The advantages are many; On the other hand one can spoil the eyesight if there is no precaution and selecting the correct content is very important.
This young wizard who turns 17 in this book just is too good a read for lots of youngsters and young adults. Not too sure how my granddad would have liked this book though. Now I understand why my nieces and join the queues outside Landmark and Higginbothams at 3 AM to buy their first copies on the day of the launch.

BTW, my dad suggested the name "हरी पोठें - मगीसिँ" in an online contest to win his free copy. A good read for ages between 12 and 30; perhaps beyond. The books have been slightly expensive but I will definitely add all the 7 in this series to my collection of books and the two that were kind of a supplement. Quidditch through the ages and Magnificent beasts and where to find
them. Maybe you can borrow them one day......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures dude. Welcome to the club!

still searching.... said...

hey....i loved the book too... but somewhere along the line... felt it was a stretch... like madam rowling did not know what to do to fill 700 pages....what say?

Anonymous said...

Nice write up about the book.
Did you win the contest and get a free copy.
I didn't understand that hindi title that your dad suggested for the competition. Could you scrap with those info. Thanks deepa.