Thursday 17 January 2008

An experience called "The Checkers Hotel"

All my friends know me as a big foodie, this could largely be attributed to my ardent or refined interest in food. I am neither an epicure nor a gourmet simply because it reminds one of a stodgy, snobbish person, only willing to consider a restaurant that has a truffle pate on the menu. Since I have enjoyed almost any kind of food at every opportunity I am proud to be known as a foodie ( don't read it as Glutton). There were periods in time where good food was hard to get and expensive. In recent times the people have the resources to buy virtually anything and have the means to cook it. A few months ago a few friends of mine decided to host a barbeque and we set up a great evening in a matter of few hours. So to be a foodie is not only to like food, but to be interested in it. One need not know the difference between a beefsteak tomato and an heirloom tomato, but might be interested to find out what it is. So anyone can be a foodie if one has the hunger (for knowledge)!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foodie



All my life I have been a great fan of mom's cooking, she is the best when it comes to speed, managing resources and bringing out healthy n' finger-licking food. My dad often jokes at my mom's awesome cooking being the reason why he usually avoids having food outside. In the recent past I have started enjoying the food at The Checkers Hotel, near Little Mount, Chennai.
After a long day of business meetings, my colleague recommended this new hotel that has come up on the Mount road. I instantly took a liking for the food there. Those boring meetings were not boring anymore. I kind of started looking forward for the meetings with this particular client for the sheer pleasure of excusing myself to a great treat. I particularly like the Roti John, straight from the South East Asian Street food menu.

The Chinese restaurant has authentic food on the first floor but the steal is the lunch buffet on the ground floor. It has a decent spread and the price does not pinch the pocket. I hear that there are special deals for a large group (More business lunch here please!). After a few months of indulging on these lunches another friend introduced me to Rohan the GM who has made the difference here. The strong chef background he has had has helped in adding the aroma and flavour to the food here!

I still like the Onion Pakkodas, Tuna Sandwitches, Paneer Pakkodas, Hot lime tea and the refreshing Cappuccinos better at Checkers than anywhere else.

So all the foodies out there what are you waiting for?

Checkout their site at

http://www.thecheckershotel.com/

And it is still a better idea to check out the Kheer they serve for lunch!


No comments: